Wednesday, January 2, 2008

More thoughts on the New Year

The snow was falling yesterday like it does in the movies. Big fluffy snowflakes, then it would change to smaller flakes that would race to the ground. Goosie was at the window in amazement. If I let her she would just sit at the window for hours watching the snow fall. "Can we play in it" is the question I get more then air. But still we wait. I want the snow to build up enough to go sledding and maybe make a snowman. Until then, we watch it falling outside the windows, racing to the cold ground below. The snow boots are lined up by the back door and it almost seems that the snow jackets are itching to get outside. But the kids are just getting over a cold and they have to wait to hear the snow crunching beneath their boots and filling their hats with wet flakes soon to melt in the warmth of the house.
It is winter time now, and also the start of a new year. The kids will add yet another year to their short but wide lives. Hubby and I will tick off year number five of a blissful marriage. And a new family member will make her debut! I am excited as I always am. I love the seasons and watching them change anticipating all the things that come with them. The winter is the earths nap time when all the seeds and flowers sleep, dreaming of when they will awaken and bud out of the warming ground. Spring's rain holds all the promise of soft green grass in the summer when ice cream and cold lemonade are all the rage. Fall is when nature sheds its colorful coverings and bears it's self naked for the coming sleep. Through all the season's we as humans will grow and change. Additions are made and subtractions are adjusted too. We will shovel snow, rake leaves, plant flowers, mow the lawn, and bake our skin in the summer heat. But through it all we will survive. We will celebrate birthday's, anniversaries, new life and the passing of a older one. 2008 is here and all the wonderful terrible things that go with it. So jump in with gusto and roll with whatever waves come crashing your way. Celebrate all the new year has to offer and look to the past as a learning experiance. Life is short, but wide and so full of changing promises that if you get to caught up with the passing of one, you will miss the rest. Happy New Year!

No comments: